Thursday, March 10, 2005

ordinarily

Spent most of last week in New Orleans. It was fascinating, crazy and crumbling. At points it reminded me of Venice, San Francisco and Hillyard. It's worth a visit.

While there I picked up a copy of Amy Krouse Rosenthal's Encyclopedia of Ordinary Life and read it on the plane on the way home. I recommend it as an alternative to the typical memoir. Or typical book, really. It might be the closest to an interactive book I've seen that doesn't come attached with doodads. I would say you can't help but smile as you read each page and each encyclopedia entry. But this isn't Erma Bombeck-style observations, though Rosenthal is a work-at-home mom. She's not trying to make you laugh so much as think of things differently. Please read it. If you happen to live in a big city, you might find a copy for free!

No comments: